Having seen the last few games I can finally say that I’m quite happy with the progress that Liverpool have been making, results wise OK performance wise good with room for improvement, obviously. There have been the abysmal games (Villa, Stoke) and the superb games (Fulham, Wigan, Sunderland) and overall it’s promising. We’ve just had the news of Sturridge which has fairly divided opinions but I am among those who are quite happy with the addition, I think he’s a great lad with loads of confidence, ability and a willingness to succeed and seems to be qualities we really need.
Here’s some stats taken from eplindex
- Scored eleven goals, all from open play, which was the joint thirteenth most (with Luis Suarez, amongst others). He was also ranked thirteenth on a ‘minutes per goal’ basis, with one every 206 minutes.
- Converted 15% of his shots – the joint seventeenth best rate in the league (for players who attempted at least fifty shots), and better than any Liverpool player managed.
- Was coincidentally ranked seventeenth for clear-cut chance conversion (with 38% converted), which was again better than any Liverpool player (again, with a minimum of fifty shots attempted).
- Scored with both feet and his head – four with his right foot, five with his left, and two with his head.
- Was less reliant on one body part to score than all but two of the players (Dzeko and Holt) who scored more goals than him, suggesting he is a good all round finisher.
- Scored 82% of his goals inside the box; at a recent fansite event, Brendan Rodgers spoke of needing more players in the box who can score goals.
- Was joint 20th for accurate through balls per game.
Anyway, the good performances were amazing, the whole team working together both defensively and attacking. A highlight of mine has been Stewart Downing who seems to have “found himself” again, his runs and crosses have been phenomenal. Coincidentally, Joe Allen’s increased absence has been around when we have been winning which may be just a coincidence but there have been a few people who I’ve spoken to have noticed this. Joe Allen is a good player, but if there is a flaw it is that he can be negative opting for sideways or backwards passes rather than forward. He may not give possession away often but it is fair to say he can be a bit more forward with his approach.
The negative is shocking, the loss at Villa in particular was a real down point. I was at Anfield for this game and you could see it was a game of two poor teams against eachother with Villa coming on top, neither particularly played well. Stoke on the other hand is just a fixture we struggle with and have just continued to do so, we really need to get some new tactics against the Potters because they certainly know ours.
Next fixture in the league is Manchester United at Old Trafford and I’m excited for it but I can’t see us getting a result, a draw for me here would be amazing. United in form and scoring goals and Liverpool haven’t got consistency just yet, it just looks like a really tough game at a really tough time to me, but hopefully I’ll be wrong. If I can see the players at least going for it that will be enough for me.
Video version can be found at http://youtu.be/NLwmqwkYmlw